A vintage brass thimble is the beginning component, and the inspiration, for a necklace that Diane Cook calls, Heart Strings.
Made using layers of luscious strips of recycled sari silk, Dupoini silk, vintage lace and/or tulle, along with multiple lengths of various pieces and types of chain, you will enjoy exploring the possibilities of perhaps using baroque pearls, semi-precious gemstones, vintage bits, buttons and charms, or perhaps your favorite pieces of brass filigree. Diane shows you, step-by-step, how you can transform these tassels into beautiful works of art.
These are some of the techniques you will learn how to do in this beautifully demonstrated workshop:
- How to add various lengths of chain, bits and pieces from vintage rhinestone jewelry or rosary chain.
- How to wire wrap your beads, pearls and crystal rondells.
- How to make your own tiny etched books.
- How create wire nests that Diane calls, nesties.
- An optional method to adorn your thimble and tiny book with vintage text.
- If you choose to add one of Diane’s favorite brass lockets, she will show you how to use mica to cover your image or special words that will be tucked inside.
- Finally, Diane will show you how to create a simple necklace, using a combination of recycled sari silk and a vintage rhinestone bracelet, but chain will work just as great if a bracelet can’t be found. You may want to add a sprinkle of wire wrapped gemstones, beads, pearls or crystals…finishing with a choice of a simple hook closure.
Please be sure to check your e-mail purchase receipt for file attachments containing your materials and supply list, and any handouts provided with this workshop DVD.
Diane Cook has created art since she was 6 years old, but it wasn’t until she attended her first art retreat in Hampton, Virginia, did the artistic life she yearned for suddenly begin. That’s when she discovered dreams really do come true….as now, she is living it!
Her love for using vintage jewelry and components, especially vintage rhinestones in her designs, has become an ever constant source of inspiration. When not teaching and designing jewelry, her love for photography and mixed-media art, constantly keep her preoccupied.
Diane has been published in Belle Armoire Jewelry, Artful Blogging, Somerset Memories, Jewelry Affaire, Marie, Jewelry the zine. You can also find her work in several books, Bead Soup by Lori Anderson, The Missing Link by Cindy Wimmer, and in a mixed media art competition book published by North Lights, called Incite, Dreams Realized: The Best of Mixed Media. She was also a contributing artist in Kristen Robinson’s eBook, The Romance of Mixed-Media Jewelry, and was honored to be a Guest Curator for Crescendoh.com, sharing her story of how Art Saves, in May, 2010.
Diane’s Artful Gathering Workshops include, Heart Strings, Etched & Layered Cuffs, Window to My Heart, Romantic Wrapped Necklace, On a Wing Cuff, and The Art of Base Metal Etching. Available now on DVD.
Diane has joyfully been making art, designing jewelry and sharing her love for teaching full time, since retiring in 2010.